A quick run through my home PC kit and networking equipment
Ryzen 7 Gaming PC
This is my “main” Gaming and general use setup. I’ve recently rebuilt away from a core i7 3770K to enable me to both game and stream from the same machine. I can’t say it feels a huge improvement but I can see whilst multitasking it manages a lot better. Video render times have also decreased massively thanks to the 16 threads. This all lives in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX case.
- Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.8Ghz
- Asus ROG Strix Nvidia 1080Ti
- Team Group Dark Pro “8 Pack Edition” 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
- Samsung Evo 840 Pro 256 GB SSD for OS
- Crucial MX100 500GB SSD for Games
- Dell U2515H
This is my “little” Linux box, whilst the specs are reputable even for a gaming PC, this is all crammed into something the size of a sandwich and because it runs Ubuntu it also runs like lightning.
- Intel core i7 3770S
- 16GB RAM
- Gigabyte H77TN Motherboard
- Crucial M4 256GB SSD
My home server is primarily used for file sharing, as it also runs Ubuntu (Server), Samba takes care of that and my main way of sharing the content s by using Plex Media Server. I’ve tried a few others but Plex really is fantastic and being a Plex Pass subscriber opens u pall the locked away treasures it has to offer as well. This box runs with a RAID5 through the Linux software which backs itself up to the other server as RAID isn’t a backup.
- Intel Core i7 2600K
- 16GB Patriot Black Mamba RAM
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS
- 4x2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD’s in RAID5 for Storage
- Ubuntu Server 16.04
Home Backup Server
Using unRaid I use this box purely for backups of my main Filestore. Nobody likes to lose data and I’m certainly not about to let that happen to mine.
- HP Proliant Micro Server N54 G7
- 16GB ECC RAM
- 3x3TB Western Digital RED NAS Drives
- UnRaid OS
Colo Virtualisation Server
My remote server is used again as a learning tool but also to house a few of my “cloud based services”. Running a RouterOS CHR as the “Border” router and then the VM’s running off the back of that internally it keeps needed public IP space to a minimum whilst allowing me to run a machine per task. I currently have a cloud based Ubiquiti Unifi and mFi as well as a Ubuntu Mumble Server which I regularly use whilst gaming.
- Dell R410 1U Rack Server
- Dual Intel X5650 Hex Core Processors (6c/12t each)
- 48GB Triple Channel DDR3 RAM
- Sandisk 120GB SSD for OS (ESXi 6.5) and Border Router VM
- Sandisk 240GB SSD for VM’s
- Kingston 120GB SSD for VM’s
- Seagate 250GB Enterprise 7200RPM HDD for VM’s
Home Network Kit
In case you haven’t noticed, I love MiktoTik equipment and I do have a fair amount of it, in addition I’m really taken by the Ubiquiti access points as well so I have added a few of those into my home network as well.
- MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM
- MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
- MikroTik RB260GSP x 2
- MikroTik RB2011UiAS-2HnD
- MikroTik CRS112-8G-4S
- Unifi UAP AC-LR
- Unifi UAP x3
- Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 x2