Following on from the motherboard upgrade I was left wanting just that bit more. I did a full delid and repaste on the 8700K but it didn’t quite quench the thirst so decided to take the plunge on an i9 9900K. Whilst the PC was apart I’ve dropped in another 16GB of RAM so for now I am classing my platform as maxxed out. Not that it was straining before, it’s absolutely not going to sweat now and this will also improve the render times when I’m creating videos.
Now to sit on my hands until H2 2020 when the new 3080Ti’s are out!
I’ve recently been lucky enough to be included in a friends deployment of a MikroTik SXT LTE kit.
Having previously had a full hands on play with the kit, it is typical MikroTik quality, average quality plastic with a brilliant performance for a less than average price.
The purpose of the installation was to remove the tired fixed wireless link he had which was only the region of around 10/2Mb and wasn’t the most cost effective solution.
Being a semi rural location meant a fixed line solution wasn’t going to work and mobile phone signal wasn’t awful returning better than wireless access speeds.
The decision was made to put in an SXT and with the help of an unlimited data SIM card, he is getting speeds far superior to the FWA, cheaper monthly outlay and it’s unlimited which is something the WISPS tend not to do.
When there is 4G access this good it is a stark signal that there is light at the end of the tunnel for those who aren’t blessed by Openreach and their fibre.
After having my current set up now for around a year and a half I’ve started tinkering trying to get some more efficiency and better performance out of it. Unfortunately the Asus board I had wasn’t the strongest of the bunch so an upgrade was needed. The swap out was absolutely flawless and along with a Windows re-install it is absolutely flying along and with little to no effort it has clocked up to 4.8Ghz already. I’ve got kit for a delid to bring the temperatures down so 5Ghz is on the horizon somewhere.
The new PSU has worked so far so it was back up into the attic rack for my R210ii. No other modifications although if it manages a couple of weeks I will most likely look into some Noctua fans to quiet it off a bit. A bit of a tidy up as well removing some old switches and getting the patch panel in line.
One of the next jobs on the list will be to get a “CRS3XX” down into the cave so I can take advantage of some 10GB goodness with failover on 2 of the 3 fibres.